Visit us from the 18th – 25th February, when we’ll be celebrating British Science Week early with a week of fun activities for budding scientists!
Join us for the February Harrogate half term holidays when Sublime Science will be joining us for magic tricks, spectacular experiments, sweet making & gooey slime!
The talented team behind Sublime Science were once winners on BBC’s Dragons’ Den, check out their video and discover our favourite Science Facts below!
20 Awesome Science Facts!
1. The heaviest hailstone ever recorded weighed 1.0 kg (2.25 lb) and landed in Bangladesh on April 14, 1986.
2. Adult lungs have a surface area of around 70 square metres!
3. Footprints and tyre tracks left behind by astronauts on the moon will stay there forever as there is no wind to blow them away.
4. Natural gas doesn’t have an odour, strong smells are added to it by humans so it can be detected when there are leaks.
5. Hawaii is moving towards Japan at the speed of 10cm a year. This is because they are on different tectonic plates.
6. Uranus is the only planet in our solar system that rolls on its side like a barrel, while Venus is the only planet that spins in the opposite direction to Earth.
7. Rabbits and parrots can see behind themselves without even moving their heads!
8. Although the Stegosaurus dinosaur was over 9 metres long, its brain was only the size of a walnut.
9. Sneezing with your eyes open is impossible.
10. Every hour the Universe expands by a billion miles in all directions.
11. The low frequency call of the humpback whale is the loudest noise made by a living creature. It is louder than Concorde and can be heard from 500 miles away.
12. The trickiest tongue twister in the English language is apparently “Sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick”. Give it a try and see for yourself.
12. 20% of Earth’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon Rainforest.
14. Every second around 100 lightning bolts strike the Earth.
15. If you could drive your car straight up you would arrive in space in just over an hour.
16. Giraffes often sleep for only 20 minutes in any 24 hours. They may sleep up to 2 hours (in spurts – not all at once), but this is rare. They never lie down.
17. If the Sun were the size of a beach ball then Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball and the Earth would be as small as a pea.
18. The world’s smallest winged insect, the Tanzanian parasitic wasp, is smaller than the eye of a housefly.
19. Our oldest radio broadcasts of the 1930s have already travelled past 100,000 stars.
20. Scientists finally concluded that the chicken came first, not the egg, because the protein which makes egg shells is only produced by hens.
Click here to see our Mad Science event page or follow us on Facebook for all of the latest news & events…